A Synopsis

bethLooking back, it’s amazing to think that our time as a team in Malawi is about to come to a close. God has done some amazing things not only in our lives, but also in the lives of the villagers. And to think, it all started a month ago when all of the team members arrived to Boot Camp. God has brought us all so far since then. We’ve had the blessing of serving the Lord at four of the Rescue Units here in Malawi – Amy Welman, House of Joy, Boyle Family, and House of Peace. Amy Welman was our very first unit where we delved into our project. Over our three days at that unit, we were able to supply 210 children with a pair of shoes and socks. We also had the blessing of travelling to a far village to evangelize and share the Gospel, and 24 people came to know Jesus as a result of that. Praise the Lord!! Our next stop was the House of Joy where we were able to continue in following the example of Christ by washing the feet of 121 orphaned children; they too were given a pair of shoes and socks. We were at that unit for three days as well. Our three-day stay Boyle Family allowed us to walk daily to different villages to share the Gospel of Christ. One hundred twelve people gave their lives to Christ during our presentations and we also had the opportunity of supplying 83 children with a pair of shoes and socks. At the Boyle Family Unit, we also were able to assist at the Unit by building a wall for an outdoor courtyard of the rabbit house in addition to other small jobs at the base. Our final unit, House of Peace, was the unit that captured most of our hearts. We spent eight days at this unit, washing the feet of 78 children and doing work projects. There was a building under construction which is actually the building where I will be living for my internship in Malawi as a BMW (Bible Missionary Work) student. It was really neat for the team to be working on the house, knowing that I would be living withing those walls. They worked so hard finishing the floors, making progress on the beam filling for the walls, clearing the fields at the Unit, and then they even had the time to start the construction of a new rabbit house. Personally, it has been such a blessing to see the team working so hard and now when I look at those bricks in the wall or when I walk across the floor, I will be reminded of that hard work that they did for the Lord. Though this work is very much appreciated, there was another type of work that has much more impact for the Kingdom of God – sharing the Gospel. We went out daily to many of the villages to share the Gospel of Christ. Our team had the blessing and opportunity of seeing 493 people come to know Christ – Praise the Lord!!! We were really able to bond with the people of the nearest village and many of the team members are now prayer brothers and sisters with the children and women of that village. For the last few days at the unit, we were even able to hold our evening devotion time together in what is going to be my new bedroom. Our last night at House of Peace was so touching to many of us. The women and children of the village came out to say goodbye to us and we all sang praises to God underneath a blanket of stars. It was so beautiful and the presence of God was evident in that circle as we worshipped God for His faithfulness, love, and grace. We were all meshed together, singing praises in both English and Chichewa; we all had Christ bonding us together in His love. God is so good! This trip has truly been an eye opener to many of the team members – life in the village is very different than life in the US or in Canada. Our locations were in remote areas; no electricity, no running water, no bathrooms other that a hole in the ground. When the sun goes down, there is no light so activity is very limited very quickly. And the material of the tents allowed the cold night’s air to come in and give us a chill if the covers were not pulled up. This lifestyle was a new experience for most of the team. But it surely has opened their eyes to what life is like in other parts of the world. Due to the remote location of many of the villages, communication was very difficult.  There was no computer to jump on to write reports and the internet cafes in the towns were not reliable either. Many reports were written and sent, but very few actually made it to the Teen Missions office. We apologise for this inconvenience; we did the best we could. Thankfully, Mat was in town relatively frequently to pick up supplies and Heni ran many errands towards the end of the trip. When they were out, they would send reports, but like I said, the reliability of the reports making it to their destination was slim. Many times, even the reliability of the internet being up or the power staying on was questionable and could cause problems. Even at the Teen Missions Malawi base, the internet does not always work and the power can go in the middle of writing a report. It’s unfortunate, but that’s how it is here. We are now back at the base preparing to fly out. Today is our sightseeing day and our chance for souvenir shopping. And then it’s to the airport tomorrow morning! I can’t believe how quickly it has gone. As the team is leaving tomorrow, there will be no way of knowing where they are in their travels until they actually arrive in Orlando, FL.  Should they make all of their connections, they should arrive on August 5. It will be bittersweet to see them go. Mat, Heni, and I will be staying in Malawi. We will surely miss them, but we are also greatly blessed by the work they have accomplished and for the lives they have changed. Glory to God! I am so thankful for the work He has done in all of our live; I am confident that none of the team members will go home unchanged. The Lord is faithful and He has shown Himself to each of us in different ways. What a blessing to have Christ in our lives.– Allie

* And now a word from our team members . . . *

“It was just another fun day. We got up at five in the morning and had our Bible Study and then breakfast – yum, tasty! Then devos and then work started. It was the first day I got to wash feet. It was a very humbling experience. Praise the Lord for the 77 kids that got their feet washed! In the afternoon I got to go get the fire wood. After dinner we had GG (God’s Gentlemen/Grubby to Grace). It was fun; Mat was still gone so Allie was our teacher. It was cold that night!– Larry (July 17, 2009)

“Wahoo!  Sunday! So today was lots of fun. It started with wake up and then breakfast. Sunday school came next. Gift and Louis taught and after this they took us to play games. The first game we played went a little something like this: you run around in a big group and someone yells a number and the big group has to split up into smaller groups of the number that was called. While we were playing games, it was incredible to see how happy these people are with what they have even though it’s not much and it’s pitiful to see how much we complain even though we have so much.” – Katie (July 19, 2009)

“Today was another regular day, filled with foot washing and EV; however, for me it was no ordinary day. I declare that I saw God’s face for the first time. The kids are amazing and I feel like we all have a great connection with them. I love when the kids come and sit on our laps. It reminds me of Jesus and how the children ran to His feet. Philippians 1:6 says, ‘Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.’  I am willing, as a servant of God, to perform His will which He has already begun to work. We are told over and over that we are a blessing to these kids; however, I feel they have blessed me so much. These children are so content to just hold our hands or smile at us. If this is only a piece of God, I can only imagine what the rest of Him looks like. Ah, God is good!!”– Morgan (July 22, 2009)

“I was on EV this morning and Bickiel invited anyone who was ill and wanted prayer to come up after the presentation so we could pray for them. So after the presentation, four people came up. We all got in a semi-circle and each of us prayed for them.  I cried. If these four people lived in North America, they probably would have been able to have their problems fixed. We are so blessed to live in a country with such a great medical system. We were also asked to come and pray for a woman who had been sick for a long time. Her name was Esther. She was on a straw mat outside laying down when we got there, but with the assistance of another woman she sat up. Mandy shared the Gospel with her and she accepted Christ!! Then we all gathered around her and prayed for her.  She was so frail . . .”– Dano (July 27, 2009)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *