Vanderpool, Kathy (Spring 2011)

Dear Family and Friends, What’s happened since my last newsletter?

skin treatment

Malawi Adult Team

On January 18, 2011, I left Florida with a team of six heading to Malawi. There was a 10 hour layover in London and a few of the team members went on a whirlwind tour of that city. We continued onto Lilongwe, through Immigrations and Customs, into the city for supplies, and then a two-and-a-half hour truck ride to the base. We unpacked the truck and started to sort things. The school prepared our first Malawian meal for supper, then we had some rest before starting again the next morning. We had the truck packed with all of our supplies by 11:00 AM and traveled another four hours to the Mangochi Rescue Unit. However, as we stopped to get fuel, a truck arrived to fill the stations tanks. You see, there is a shortage of fuel so when you can get it you need to be patient so you won’t have to sit by the road without fuel. So we had a two hour wait. We had our lunch and the team took advantage of ministering to the children around us, singing songs and telling the children about the Lord. The tanks were filled and we arrived at around 4:00 PM with singing and cheers of welcome. With a curious audience watching, we unloaded the truck, set up tents and got something to eat before the sun went down. The next morning the team went about 15 minutes away where they began putting the fence poles in place for the boundaries of the new Bible School property. After lunch we split up and we ran a clinic, where people came from everywhere for help. There were mostly skin rashes, coughs, colds, and one girl who had fallen and it appeared that her hip was out and may have had a broken bone somewhere. She was referred to a doctor. Then another team member taught sewing skills to the older girls and widows.

Motorcycle Sunday School Missions

Sunday we stopped work, enjoyed a church service and spent time with the orphans. On Monday, the team was busy trying to finish putting the fence poles in and running the clinic again. Wednesday we headed to the Dedza mountains to be a part of Motorcycle Sunday School Mission.

We unpacked and set up camp for our two-day stay. In the afternoon the team was able to help the Circuit Riders run the Sunday School. They taught the Bible story, phonics, games and had a great time with the kids. Then we moved to another Rescue Unit to stay for a few days. We then traveled on to the next Sunday School. The children ran from the classrooms to come meet the team and the teachers found it a little difficult to get them back into the classroom. The team went down to another village and held an open-air meeting where the adults and children just sat on the ground while three team members shared their testimony and then the Circuit Rider gave an invitation where around 20 people raised their hands and prayed a salvation prayer. Then it was back to help run the Sunday School and a medical clinic at the same time.

We were back to the unit by 6:00 PM for dinner. The rains came and when that happens, the roads get muddy and it is difficult to get through the mud. So the next morning we packed up and went to a nearby secondary school where the headmaster agreed the students could be dismissed from classes for us to have a short open-air meeting. The team sang a song and three team members shared their testimonies. The Circuit Rider gave an invitation and over 75 kids raised their hands and prayed a salvation prayer. We were also able to encourage the kids to attend the Sunday School that is held every Sunday at the Rescue Unit. You sure wouldn’t have this kind of opportunity at our schools in the States. Praise the Lord for the open doors He gives us. From the school, we headed back to the base and again a Malawian meal was waiting for us. Saturday we went to a woodcarving area and the team was able to purchase some treasures to take home for family and friends. Sunday the team headed back home.

Chief and children at Sunday School Unit

I remained in Malawi for a local board meeting and visited a Sunday School at a new Sunday School Circuit we had started in the Benga II area. We followed the motorcycle into the bush and stopped at the end of the road where the chief had given us permission to meet under a tree. Just about 200 feet from the Sunday School is a mosque. The children are suppose to attend the mosque, but would much rather attend the Sunday School and the madras teacher said since we were teaching, he was no longer coming. We are so thankful for the doors that God opens so that His Word can be proclaimed.

From Malawi I traveled to Uganda and spent some time with the coordinators at the base. Time seems to fly as you spend the day in meetings. I then flew to South Africa for just a few days for some more meetings with the coordinators.

After South Africa, I flew to Madagascar for meetings with the coordinators from the north and south base. In the end, we had to close the BMW in south Madagascar and brought the students up to the north base. I returned back to the States on the 23rd of February, having finished my overseas time.

We are now in Boot Camp preparation mode. We will begin setting up the Big Tops this week and before you know it, the Mustard Seeds will be coming. It is so great to be able to work with the four-to-six-year olds. At the end of Boot Camp I will be driving the Missionaries to America up north with a couple of stops on the way. They will be flying home after the one year in Canada and the States. It is exciting that the Missionaries to America will be here for Boot Camp this year.

The plan is for me to stay home this year and be a part of summer staff, helping to keep up with the overseas staff in addition to whatever help is needed. It will be different as I haven’t done this in a long time as I am usually leading a team.

Thank you for your continued prayer support and financial giving. I desire to be a good representative for you all as I have the privilege to serve here with Teen Missions.

Because of Him,




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *