Report from Mt. Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro 2014Kilimanjaro 2014Kilimanjaro 2014

Weather: We are in a little bit of shock with how much colder it is
up on the mountain. It gets into the 30s and 40s at night and stays in
the 50s during the day. For those of us who are from the south, we’re
freezing, but our Washington folks are quite comfortable. We usually
wake up in a cloud and a cold mist and then the sun comes to warm us
up for the latter part of the day. It’s pretty windy, which doesn’t
really work with our propane, but thankfully we have a small building
to do our cooking in.

Thursday: After we posted our Thursday report, we headed from Moshi towards
Arusha to go to the Tanzanite mines and go shopping in the Masai town
to shop. After driving 14 km from the airport, we dropped off the
miners group and headed out even further to a little Masai town. Our
missionary friend, Pastor Frank, had his friend Sam come with us to
translate and show us around. We went with a plan to do some shopping
but when we arrived, we were bombarded by natives. (This was the first
time that they had seen white people in a very, very long time.) The
first few people we met were Muslim, but they were extremely excited
that we were there and thought that it was amazing that young people
would come out to witness to them. One of them was named Muhammad and
he wanted to help us around. He set out trying to help us find the
right places to shop at, but because we attracted such a large crowd,
we decided we needed to do evangelism instead. We sang “All in All”
and “How He Loves” in a few different areas and also shared the gospel
message in the street. You would have thought the team was filled with
celebrities the way that the people crowded, took pictures, and asked
the team questions about why they had come.

Muhammad then took us to a small village and we shared the gospel with some men and
about 5 men raised their hand to receive Christ. We prayed for a few
of them and then the team members went to play with the group of
children that had gathered around. The strange thing about it all was
that Muhammad translated for us the whole time; he wanted us to tell
people about Jesus! After speaking with him it was very difficult to
see the differences in our beliefs because he believed everything that
we did; he just had additional beliefs that didn’t line up with the
Bible. I had time to speak truth to him, but he didn’t seem willing to
accept that he didn’t need Islam. Please pray for him that his eyes
would be opened to the truth and that he doesn’t need anything in
addition to Jesus.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: On Friday we headed out on our first
hike. The truck carried our big kitchen equipment and tents and we
carried our belongings as well as our food. We loaded our packs on our
back and headed out around noon and arrived around 4. For a 7k hike,
that’s really great timing! The mountain is quite steep so our thighs
were definitely burning on the way up. The scenery is so green the
higher you hike and there are beautiful flowers and new trees
everywhere. Our hike was pretty enjoyable because of the great view of
the valleys and the difference in culture. We didn’t experience many
problems with the team members, although some of them were pretty
cranky by the end. When we arrived, us lady leaders rejoiced because
of the acres of land that the kids have to run and play, the soft
ground we have to set up our tents, the small building we have for our
kitchen, and bathrooms with real toilets and showers. The very best
part was finding out that we have running water, fresh from the
mountain and treated by a local water company so that it’s safe for

Saturday was a day of setting up and organizing, laundry,
bathing, and getting used to the colder climate. Sunday, we went to
two local Lutheran churches. We performed in both services at one and
at the 10 o’clock service of the second church. The kids love to sing
“Yesu Ni Wangu” each time they perform at church because all of the
congregations sing along and cheer with them. After the church
services there is an auction of some of the offerings (like bananas,
beans, fruit, etc) so some of the kids like to participate in that. A
lot of the time the church will give us food as a gift. This Sunday,
they gave us sugar cane… of course, the team loved that!

Later in the day the team went to an outside stage to participate in
the beginning of a crusade, which lasts until Wednesday. The pastor
who has opened his land to us wants us to be a part of the crusade…
which brings us to today, Monday.

Monday: After a short hike down the mountain, we met with the pastor. He split
us into two groups and some went with him and the others went with
James. Part of the crusade is door-to-door evangelism and ministering.
A lot of this part of the mountain knows of Jesus or has a personal
relationship with Him, so our main purpose is to encourage and to
exhort. At one home, we lead a man named Thomas to Christ. He knows of
Jesus and counsels with the Pastor often, but realized through the
crusade that he needed to give his life to Jesus fully. He asked for
us to pray for him and accepted Christ as his personal savior! His
prayer is that Jesus will restore his family that has been broken for
4 years. Please pray that his wife’s heart will be softened and that
she will come home with the other half of the children.

Monday: Today we participated in a crusade on the mountain.  I asked the
Pastor that is hosting us about the people in the area and he said
that there are 1,500 people that live on the mountain throughout the
villages and that there are only 4 Christian churches on the mountain.
There are no other competing religions.  The people are either
Christian or have no religion at all.  A very small population is
Christian so it is an excellent ground for our Church to continue
crusading by going door to door asking to share with the people and
pray with them.

Our team split in half where 3 of our teammates along with James (our
translator) went inside to share the gospel with people and the other
half of our team stayed out in the road to serve as prayer warriors to
pray for our team inside the small homes.  We often found ourselves
engaging with the children of the household and neighbors who came
out. We played games, sang with them, did Bible story skits, puppets
and even gave out a few “wordless book” bracelets, getting to share
the gospel through the colors of the beads.

We had the opportunity to plant a few seeds, water a few seeds and
even harvest!  One of our groups did get to pray Christ into the life
of a household!  The man that accepted Christ had fallen away from the
church long ago and had never had a personal relationship with Christ.
He then listened as some of our students were able to relate to
falling away during times of their lives, but shared how Jesus has His
way of drawing us back and turning our lives around in a personal
relationship with Him.  The man wanted that for himself and asked to
pray Jesus into his life!

All our contacts were amazing and the students are full of exciting
stories!  They got to sing, pray and share their testimony!  This day
was rich in a tremendous way!

One Comment

  1. What a blessing to my heart to read these updates. Here, in the states, it’s been gloomy to listen to news of poor decisions in government. Hearts yearn for Truth to be shared with and accepted by those who do not have ears to hear. With that being said, it is refreshing to read that God’s plans are not thwarted. The Gospel messege cannot be silenced, people will accept, and God still waters and grows the seeds planted!!! You have been tremendous vessels used by Christ to bring His love to people of Moshi and the mountain folks. Keep abiding in Jesus!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *