Steve (from Denver, Colorado) heard the Lord’s call to missions when he was just 12 years old and first served on a Teen Missions team to the Virgin Islands in 1979 when he was 15. After graduating in 1984 from Christ for the Nations Institute in Dallas, Texas, Steve joined Teen Missions and served that first year as an assistant coordinator at the Brazil overseas Boot Camp. Since then, Steve has served in overseas Boot Camps in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Tanzania, the Philippines, Jordan, Indonesia, Lebanon, and Russia. Steve now serves at the TMI headquarters with video, computer, and website related development. He enjoys serving as an instructor at Florida Free BIBLE, MISSIONARY & WORK Training Center teaching Synthesis, Personal Evangelism & Revelation/Daniel.
Gay (from Shreveport, Louisiana) graduated from Louisiana State University in 1994 with a master’s degree in Education and bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. She was a popular Second-grade teacher who served three summers as a volunteer leader to South Africa, Hungary, and Malawi from 1990-1992. Never to be the same again, she worked to pay off her college debts and came on full-time staff in 1995.
Steve was known as the President of the “Bachelors to the Rapture”. But nothing is impossible with God, and after a bout in the hospital with malaria, Steve felt a peace from the Lord and he asked Gay to marry him (she said yes) while on a flight to the Philippines. The Petersens were married on Sept 2, 2000, and are blessed with two children–Timothy (who was born in November of 2001) and Faith (who was born in January 2005). Gay home-schools both children.
Gay serves as a weekend cook at the Teen Missions’ Retreat Center, proofs TMI publications, and teaches when time permits at Florida Free. During the summer months, Gay serves as the coordinator for the Peanut Kids Camp (7-9 year olds) and travels with Steve as a summer team leader.
During spare moments, Steve enjoys family outings, yard work, reading and anything to do with the computer. Gay enjoys cutting coupons (save, save, save), cycling with the family, reading, cooking, nesting around the house and corresponding with friends and family.
- For wisdom as we raise Timothy and Faith
- That the anointing of the Holy Spirit would be present in our devotional life and in our ministry with US teens and national teens overseas
- That our words and actions would be a salt and light bringing others to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ
- Steve – April 19
- Gay – July 17
- Timothy – November 21
- Faith – January 6
- September 2, 2000
- Steve & Gay Petersen Newsletter (Winter 2019) February 18, 2019 Dear Family & Friends, Season of Change In October, the TMI board elected new officers. Richard Barber is now serving as President and Director of the ministry, Larry Wadman as Vice-President, Marva Peck as Treasurer, and myself as Secretary. We are grateful for the years of service of our founders as well as thousands of others who’ve joined with us here and around the world to see so much fruit over the years for God’s glory. Steve has been asked to serve ...
- Steve & Gay Petersen Newsletter (Spring 2018) May 9, 2018 DEAR FRIENDS & FAMILY, MINISTRY UPDATE Teen Missions is establishing a new base location in Ecuador and the first Boot Camp held on the new location was just completed! Here’s a link https://youtu.be/FaIMiiI_xDY with video of this Boot Camp (in Spanish). In Zambia, an entire unreached region in the north is opening up and a new Bible, Missionary & Work Training Center and MSSM (motorcycle circuits) are planned. We also praise the Lord for changed lives and souls won during the spring Boot ...