Steve (from Denver, Colorado) heard the Lord’s call to missions when he was just 12 years old and first served on a Teen Missions team to the Virgin Islands in 1979 when he was 15. After graduating in 1984 from Christ for the Nations Institute in Dallas, Texas, Steve joined Teen Missions and served that first year as an assistant coordinator at the Brazil overseas Boot Camp. Since then, Steve has served in overseas Boot Camps in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Tanzania, the Philippines, Jordan, Indonesia, Lebanon, and Russia. Steve now serves at the TMI headquarters as Vice President of Operations. He also overseas video, computer, and website related development. He enjoys serving as an instructor at Florida Free BIBLE, MISSIONARY & WORK Training Center teaching Synthesis, Personal Evangelism & Revelation/Daniel.
Gay (from Shreveport, Louisiana) graduated from Louisiana State University in 1994 with a master’s degree in Education and bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. She was a popular Second-grade teacher who served three summers as a volunteer leader to South Africa, Hungary, and Malawi from 1990-1992. Never to be the same again, she worked to pay off her college debts and came on full-time staff in 1995.
Steve was known as the President of the “Bachelors to the Rapture”. But nothing is impossible with God, and after a bout in the hospital with malaria, Steve felt a peace from the Lord and he asked Gay to marry him (she said yes) while on a flight to the Philippines. The Petersens were married on Sept 2, 2000, and are blessed with two children–Timothy (who was born in November of 2001) and Faith (who was born in January 2005). Gay home-schools both children.
Gay serves as a weekend cook at the Teen Missions’ Retreat Center, proofs TMI publications, and teaches when time permits at Florida Free. During the summer months, Gay serves as the coordinator for the Peanut Kids Camp (7-9 year olds) and travels with Steve as a summer team leader.
During spare moments, Steve enjoys family outings, yard work, reading and anything to do with the computer. Gay enjoys cutting coupons (save, save, save), cycling with the family, reading, cooking, nesting around the house and corresponding with friends and family.
- For wisdom as we raise Timothy and Faith
- That the anointing of the Holy Spirit would be present in our devotional life and in our ministry with US teens and national teens overseas
- That our words and actions would be a salt and light bringing others to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ
- Steve – April 19
- Gay – July 17
- Timothy – November 21
- Faith – January 6
- September 2, 2000
- Steve & Gay Petersen Newsletter (Winter 2020) February 7, 2020 Dear Friends and Family, HAPPENING THIS WINTER We enjoyed a visit from Jim and Judy Person. Jim is one of the Teen Missions founders and former vice president of Teen Missions I (Steve) continue to serve under the TMI president, Richard Barber, as we seek to strengthen ministry vision and performance. I travelled with Richard to Portland, OR for meetings and a missions conference and went to Turbeville, South Carolina with Gay and Faith to share at a missions conference. I also plan ...
- Steve & Gay Petersen Newsletter (Fall 2019) October 11, 2019 Dear Friends and Family, Well Drilling/Soccer Team to Zambia After nearly a week of travel, our team of 15 guys and five gals, along with two assistant leaders, was finally bouncing down the last dusty road to our remote project site overlooking Lake Mweru in northern Zambia. At night, we could see the lights of the Congo twinkling on the other side of the lake and we realized how many thousands still remain who need to hear the saving Gospel message of ...