Serving the Lord with Teen Missions in Honduras
Meet the Chicas
Francisco (Chico) was born in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. He accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior while on his first Teen Missions team in Honduras in 1990! Five years later, he obeyed God’s call to return to Teen Missions to attend the Honduras BIBLE, MISSIONARY & WORK (BMW) Training Center.
Kathy was born in Oregon and accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior when she was about five years old. She went on a Teen Missions team to Malawi in 1991 and returned two years later to attend the BMW in Florida.
Kathy was serving her internship in Honduras when she met Chico. They were married a year later in 1998. They served on the staff of Teen Missions in Honduras for the next three years and were blessed to be a part of training many youth to serve the Lord full time.
All three of their children were born in Honduras. Daniel (1999) enjoys school, playing games and caring for animals. Samuel (2001) is very active, enjoys karate and loves science. Both boys have been blessed to go to various countries through Peanuts, Pre-teen and now Teen teams. Abigail Grace (2009) is the princess of the family, but she also loves working and helping everyone.
The Chicas family moved to Oregon in 2001, where they lived for five years. During that time, Chico was granted U.S. permanent residency and he served as a volunteer leader with Young Life.
While praying about where to serve on the mission field, the door opened to return to Teen Missions. So, in 2007, God brought them back to work at the Teen Missions base and Bible school in Honduras. Chico is very happy to be teaching classes, helping with the agricultural projects and promoting the vision of Teen Missions in Central America. He loves the opportunity to train Christians to be people of integrity who will make a difference in the world. Kathy is homeschooling their children in the mornings, working in the office in the afternoons and teaching English in the evenings. The whole family enjoys their involvement in the local church on Sundays.
- Wisdom and guidance as we run the base and expand the ministry
- Direction as we raise our children
- Protection and health
- Encouragement and strength as we strive to draw closer to God
- Chico – December 12
- Kathy – November 23
- Daniel – January 21
- Samuel – April 29
- Abigail – February 15
- Joel – August 3
- January 10, 1998
- Chico & Kathy Chicas Newsletter (Spring 2018) May 11, 2018 Hello Dear Friends and Family, How are you doing? Do you go through seasons of ups and downs in your life? We do, too! The past few months have been filled with them – blessings, disappointments, frustration, and sorrow. The only thing that keeps us going is knowing that we are serving a God who is alive, sovereign, and faithful to His promises! One of the good things is that the political situation in Honduras has calmed down and life is pretty ...
- Francisco & Kathy Chinas Newsletter (Winter 2018) February 5, 2018 Dear Friends and Family, “...many are called but f ew are chosen. (Matthew 20:16) Our Boot Camp theme verse this year exemplifies a sad truth--Although God’s heart is for many to reach out to the lost, there are very few who actually stick it out to the end and do it. At Teen Missions in Honduras, we are trying to help more people to “stick it out to the end, and do it.” Because we ran Boot Camp earlier this year, and the ...
- Chico & Kathy Chicas Newsletter (Fall 2017) October 5, 2017 Dearest friends and family, By the time you receive this, we will be back into our schedule in sunny Honduras, but as I write, we are still in beautiful Oregon. As some of you already know, we went to Oregon after our summer team this year which was different than usual. Also different was a dry Oregon. There was a devastating number of wildfires in the northwest this year, 35 in Oregon alone! When it finally rained on Sept. 17th, we ...
- Francisco & Kathy Chicas Newsletter (Spring 2017) May 11, 2017 Dear family and friends, Greetings from Honduras! We hope that you are doing well. It is always with joy that we write to share what we have been doing and what God has been doing through us here in Honduras. We now have the reports from the projects of this past Boot Camp here in Honduras. The construction team worked on a church building for a congregation who started a church but didn’t have the funds to finish. The team finished laying ...
- Chicas, Chico & Kathy Newsletter (Winter 2017) February 3, 2017 CHICAS' CHIT-CHAT Happy New Year Friends and Family! Here we are in 2017 – a new year bringing new changes to life and ministry in the U.S. and in Honduras. Of course, one of the biggest changes in the U.S. is having a new President. Here in Honduras, we may not have that big of a change, but there will be some new things this year. Our last newsletter said that we were looking for property to purchase in the area of Honduras ...
- Chicas, Chico & Kathy Newsletter ( Fall 2016) November 10, 2016 Chicas' Chit Chat Greetings in the precious name of our Lord Jesus Christ! In all the activities over the summer, we can say that, “The Lord has helped us every step of the way.” (I Samuel 7:12, New International Reader’s Version.) And we can give thanks to all of you for your prayers as we saw so many answers! In May, Chico went up to Florida to help with preparing for this year’s Boot Camp at the Teen Missions headquarters. In ...
- Chicas, Chico & Kathy Newsletter (Spring 2016) June 6, 2016 Greetings from Honduras to our Dear Friends and Family,It is because of your faithful prayers and support, that we have been able to continue serving our Lord Jesus Christ through the ministry of Teen Missions. We are thankful for many things, including:1. God’s grace to give us eternal salvation, forgiveness, and love2. all of you who are so amazingly supportive of our family and the ministry here3. good health and safety4. the lives that have been saved as a result ...
- Chicas, Chico & Kathy Newsletter (Winter 2016) February 17, 2016 Dear Friends and Family,Wow! It has been a while, hasn't it? I guess having a new baby has kept me busier than I thought it would! I am sure you have all heard the news that we had a baby boy, born in August, 2015. But, you probably haven't heard many of the details. We would like to share for two reasons: one—many of you asked us to, and two—it was amazing and we want to give God the glory ...