Meet the Petersens
Doug grew up on a farm in Minnesota. He moved to Denver, Colorado with his parents when he was 15 years old. After finishing high school, he attended Colorado University. He received a degree in chemistry, with a minor in education. Doug taught in the Denver Public Schools for nine years.
In 1972, Doug was involved in helping to establish a Christian high school in Denver. Doug was the high school principal and a teacher in this school for eleven years.
Barb also grew up on a farm in southern Minnesota. She met Doug when they attended the same junior high school. After high school, she attended two years of college and completed two years of training in x-ray technology. She graduated from Fairview Hospital as an x-ray technologist and worked for a short time in that field after marrying Doug.
Doug and Barb were married in 1963. They lived in Denver, Colorado. They have two children. Steve Petersen and Sarah Codding.
Steve and his wife, Gay, have two children, a son named Timothy and a daughter named Faith. They are both on the staff of Teen Missions International, working out of the home office in Florida.
Sarah is married to Rob Codding. They met while working on staff at Teen Missions. He is currently an administrator of a church in Sioux Falls, SD. They have four children.
Doug and Barb took their first team to the Philippines as volunteer leaders in 1981. They took a second team to Papua New Guinea in 1983. In 1984, they felt the Lord leading them to join Teen Missions Staff. They began to run Boot Camps in Zimbabwe in 1985 and started a BIBLE, MISSIONARY & WORK (BMW) Training Center there in 1991. In 1998, they moved to Zambia to run Boot Camps and a Bible school at the Teen Missions base near Ndola. Ndola is in the Copper Belt, located in the northern central part of the country. Zambia quickly became home and they are still serving in this country today. They are base coordinators and supervise the many ministries and projects of the Teen Missions base, such as the BMW, Boot Camps, AIDS Orphans Rescue Units and Motorcycle Sunday School Mission outreach.
Doug and Barb are very grateful to the Lord for allowing them to serve with in the Teen Missions ministry. They are very grateful also for the faithful prayer and financial support that they have received.
- Wisdom – James 1:5
- Safety – Psalm 91
- Fruitfulness – John 15:16
- Doug – July 22
- Barb – June 7
- June 8, 1963
- Doug & Barb Petersen Newsletter (Winter 2018) February 16, 2018 Dear Family and Friends, Greetings to everyone. We trust that all went well for you and your families over the holidays. We had a great time, too, remembering the birth of our Savior, enjoying our family and celebrating our grandson’s wedding. Personal Plans We are very anxious to get back to Zambia. Dental and medical visits meant we had to stay a bit longer than we planned. Our return date is March 8, 2018. So we have a few weeks left and are ...
- Doug & Barb Petersen Newsletter (Fall 2017) October 6, 2017 Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is at hand, Repent and believe in the gospel." Mark 1:14 & 15 Greetings to all of our friends and family, Once again we are so thankful for all of our faithful supporters who give throughout the long summer months. You are so appreciated. The work in Zambia has gone on full speed ahead. We are blessed ...
- Doug & Barb Petersen Newsletter (Spring 2017) May 12, 2017 God be merciful to us and bless us, cause His face to shine upon us, that Your way may be known on the earth, Your salvation among all nations. —Psalm 67:1,2 Dear Family and Friends, Spring 2017 I am writing this on the Easter Monday from Zambia. Along with you, we are very grateful to Jesus for coming to earth to die that we might live. What a Savior! We celebrated the same as many of you with a Sunrise Service followed by our church ...
- Petersen, Doug & Barb Newsletter (Winter 2017) February 16, 2017 Petersen Post But none of these things move me, nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the Gospel of the grace of God. Acts 20:24 Dear Family and Friends, We chose the verse above remembering that we still have a call, ...
- Petersen, Doug & Barb Newsletter (Spring 2016) May 24, 2016 For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the worldbut that the world through Him might be saved. John 3: 17For the Scripture says,"Whoever believes on Himwill not be put to shame." Romans 10:11Dear Family and Friends,We greet you in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is one of the standard greetings in Zambia. It is really beautiful when you think about it. I (Barb) have just finished teaching the book of Acts this term. ...
- Petersen, Doug & Barb Newsletter (Winter 2016) February 19, 2016 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all long suffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine...II Timothy 4:2,3aDear Friends and Family,Happy and Blessed New Year! Much is already happening but first let me say we had a great time being home for a short time in October and November. We enjoyed the fellowship with family and friends, including a wonderful Thanksgiving at Steve's. We ...
- Petersen, Doug & Barb Newsletter (Fall 2015) November 3, 2015 Jesus said, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."Matthew 16:24, 25 Dear Family and Friends,Much has happened since our last letter. We have had many blessings and a few trials. I will briefly mention these starting with the blessings.Visitors: We have had men volunteer to help at the base ...
- Petersen, Doug & Barb Newsletter (Spring 2015) May 26, 2015 And this Gospel of the kingdomshall be preached in the whole worldfor a witness to all nations,and then the end shall come. Matthew 24: 14Dear Friends and Family, In this newsletter we want to say a BIG thank you to all of you who pray for us and support us in so many ways. I know others say this, but YOU really are the BEST. We thank God for you and praise Him for the way He has used you ...