Meet the Powells
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
David developed a heart to serve the Lord in full time mission work at a young age. After graduating high school in 1990, he went on his first short term mission trip through Teen Missions to Malawi, Africa. In 1993 he was a team leader with TMI to Guatemala.
Becca committed her life to Christ at a young age, but recommitted her life to the Lord while attending her first TMI team in 1991. She and David are both from Colorado Springs, CO and graduated from the same high school.
In 1991, David and Becca went on a Teen Missions team to Greece together. In the fall of 1993 they were married. Two days after the wedding, they traveled on a Grey Hound bus to Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico. For eight non-consecutive years they served as independent missionaries. In 1996 they led a TMI team to the Olympic Games in Atlanta, GA. Following that summer, they volunteered with TMI at the BMW School in Honduras for one year.
Since 2002 they have been raising their three children, Sarah, Gabriela, and Caleb, in Colorado. They returned to full time missions and joined staff with TMI in 2009.
- Pray for our children Gabriela and Caleb as they adapt to the culture.
- Pray for our eldest daughter Sarah who is serving the Lord in Israel, for protection and wisdom.
- Pray for wisdom and clear direction for God’s plan for Teen Missions in Greece.
- David – October 12
- Becca – July 5
- Sarah – June 16
- Gabriela – July 19
- Caleb – February 19
- September 26, 1993
- And The Piggy Winner Is Kazakhstan! June 25, 2017 And the Piggy winner is “Kazakhstan”! We are so excited that we are able to swim in the pool tomorrow for winning the Clean Award! Today was a day of “busy relaxation”! We had a Sunday Galilean-type service at the back lake,. The afternoon was filled with the TMI Olympics and games such as bandana toss, wheelbarrow race, boot toss, and other fun games to work together as a team. Everyone is doing great and we are thankful for no sickness on ...
- An Update From The Ecuador Team! June 25, 2017 The team is coming together really well and friendships are developing quickly. We had our all-day work day on Tuesday and the team did a great job of listening and following directions. As leaders, we are very impressed with the work ethic of everyone.Last night, all of team members had the opportunity to participate in the "Run From The Devil", a blow up relay competition that has the kids hooked to bungie cord and they race to see who can ...
- An Update From The Cambodia Team! June 25, 2017 The Cambodia team is doing great! They are an awesome group of young people. Parents, you should be proud. They are always willing to pitch in and do whatever is needed. They are really having a great time training on the motorcycles and seem to be catching on well. Our team usually scores high in the Cleanliness Award so thankfully, we haven’t had to clean the bathrooms. Today, we have KP! That means we didn’t have to run the OC ...
- A Report From The South Korea Team! June 25, 2017 One week down and one to go of Boot Camp! Everyone has gotten to know each other and are working well together. We haven't won the clean award yet, but we always seem very close to the top, we are hopeful we can win soon. Everyone is enjoying their classes and learning a lot. We are starting to look ahead at our upcoming travel time and beginning to prepare for it. We know the next week will go fast. We ...
- The Malawi Well-Drilling Team Report! June 25, 2017 We are excited to let you all know that we are moving right through Boot Camp with excitement, good attitudes and killing lots of mosquitos. The weather is great! We have had a very nice breeze almost every day and we have not experienced any rain yet which is a blessing and miracle. We have finished puppets, drama and phonics class and we started working on the drilling rig and advanced evangelism class. Drama class has been the favorite class so far and ...
- The Long Lost New Zealand Report! June 25, 2017 Hey Mates or however they greet you from New Zealand. A greeting I am pretty sure is culturally appropriate from my time in Australia. This is Evan, the assistant male leader of Team New Zealand. Arrival Day went good. All members of our team arrived breathing and whole. Despite the normal chaos and fun, we got most of them registered yesterday. Today we got Elias and Josh signed in at 4 to fit in with our schedule because they arrived right ...
- And A Word From The New Zealand Team! June 25, 2017 For our report today we wanted you to hear from our team members directly so here is what some of them have to say about Boot Camp and how things are going: "In Boot Camp I am definitely learning how to be more patient and more grateful for common household appliances. I am very happy that the Lord has called me to Teen Missions this year. Though the mosquitos are bad, it's all worth it in the end. I can't wait for ...
- Good Morning From New Mexico! June 24, 2017 Good morning from New Mexico! (We are on the border of Arizona next to Window Rock, AZ during Boot Camp.) The weather here has been hot during the day (low 90’s) and cool in the mornings (low 50’s). We are at about 7,000 feet altitude which helps! Preparations for this year’s Boot Camp have continued as the team set up the Wall, the Slough, Hezekiah’s Tunnel, the 10 Plagues and Children of Israel’s Luggage in addition to doing some repairs on ...