Serving the Lord with Teen Missions in South Africa
Jason grew up in Albion, Indiana, but has called Huntington, IN home for 16 years. He met his future wife while a student at Huntington University and was married shortly after graduation. He earned a degree in Recreation Management and has worked as a director of a retreat bus youth ministry, as well as spending 14 years working in a juvenile correctional facility. As a church youth leader and Sunday school teacher, his desire has been to teach youth about their role in world evangelism.
Karen is also an Indiana native and Huntington University graduate, where she also majored in Recreation Management. She has worked a variety of jobs including camp director, special needs preschool teacher, naturalist, foster care and home daycare provider. She enjoys bird watching, guitar, and reading. Her heart in ministry is discipling children and reaching out to AIDS Orphans and Muslims.
The Shrocks have two grown children. Jennifer is a graduate of Grace College. She lives in Argentina and is a teacher at Buenos Aires International Christian Academy, a school for third culture kids. Brent lives in Indiana. He graduated from the University of Northwestern Ohio with a degree in High-Performance Auto Mechanics; he hopes to build and race cars. He currently works for Crown Fork Lift Trucks.
Their two youngest are serving with them at TMI. Joy is in second grade and loves gymnastics and music. Jolie is in kindergarten and enjoys dance and drama.
The Shrocks are currently serving as base coordinators at the Teen Missions base in South Africa. They enjoy their work and are looking forward to seeing God do mighty works in South Africa.
- Continued support & finances
- Health for our family
- Wisdom we teach and direct the South Africa base
- Jason – December 25
- Karen – November 11
- Jennifer – June 21
- Brent – September 14
- Joy – September 28
- Jolie – April 23
- May 4, 1991
- Jason & Karen Shrock Newsletter (Spring 2018) May 9, 2018 We hope this finds spring warming you up as the cold creeps in our homes bringing winter’s arrival. Karen finally had time to go through the Boot Camp evaluations which flooded us with good memories from the team members. We just have to share a few! Has participation with Teen Missions changed your plans for the future in any way? Prevail age 18: “In whatever I will do I will involve God in order for it to be successful.” Katlego age 18: “I ...
- Jason & Karen Shrock Newsletter (Winter 2018) February 2, 2018 We did a trip in November to Swaziland for Karen’s birthday. We have a dear friend from our home area of Fort Wayne who is a missionary there. We have always wanted to go, so went to see Jack and Carol. It was amazing to see the green lush mountains. Although the Shrocks did bring the weather—while there the clouds rolled in and it began to hail. There was so much that the ground was white and it looked like ...
- Jason & Karen Shrock Newsletter (Fall 2017) October 10, 2017 Great Is Your Faithfulness Lamenations 3:23 God has been so faithful to our family and our ministry this past summer. As Karen and the girls were in the USA, our newsletter will be split to show God’s faithfulness with me and the ministry in South Africa and secondly with Karen doing deputation and visiting doctors in the States. Jason: May/June were difficult months for me. Karen and the kids left for the States, then our intern, Ester, got sick. We were in and ...
- Jason & Karen Shrock Newsletter (Spring 2017) May 11, 2017 Shrocks on the Rock Spring 2017 After a long Boot Camp in January we decided to take a family getaway. Sun City is a large resort area that has water slides and other attractions. We were able to go on a evening game drive, spend a day at the wave pool and water slides and a partial day going through a huge maze. February brought Valentine’s Day celebrated at a South African Protea cricket game. We have been learning this game ...
- Shrock, Jason & Karen Newsletter (Winter 2017) February 10, 2017 Shrocks On The Rock How has your new year started? For us it was “Walking Like Jesus Walked.” During our Leader Training Seminar for our summer Boot Camp we used a book by Dann Spader called 4 Chair Discipling. We taught them to follow in Jesus’ footsteps and do the same things as he did. We challenged the leaders and youth to see the world the way Jesus did and walk like Him. This year we had four teams with a ...
- Shrock, Jason & Karen Newsletter (Fall 2016) November 10, 2016 Shrocks on the Rocks Shrocks on the Rock Sept 2016 Many people ask us what we do as missionaries so we invite you to walk a week in our footsteps. Monday: Each weekday morning starts with chapel at 8 a.m. and we all take turns leading a song and sharing the Word. After getting the volunteer teacher at the taxi drop, we do a longer staff meeting over coffee and plan for the week and look at schedules. Then we are off to ...
- Shrock, Jason & Karen Newsletter (Spring 2016) May 19, 2016 In March we celebrate Human Rights in South Africa so we will start with some stories to stir your heart about the people we encounter and love through weekly ministry. Three days a week our staff and students reach out to the local children through MSSM (Motorcycle Sunday School Mission) even though they are riding bicycles now, not motorcycles. We had an Afrikaans(white) family move into one of our locations that is primarily black. The first few weeks went fine ...
- Shrock, Jason & Karen Newsletter (Winter 2016) March 10, 2016 Greetings Family and FriendsAs we looked at 2015 the word picture that came to mind was TAFFY PULLING! In the Midwest a favorite candy growing up was salt water taffy. Although we never made it at home, it was fun watching it being made. All the ingredients were put together and the tug of war began—pulling back and forth for a long time to get the desired texture and taste. Sometimes life in the ministry feels just like that so ...